In January, 2019 there were 325 new filings of funding rounds in the U.S. from companies that were classified as "technology", "other technology", "telecommunications" or "biotechnology".
Some notable findings were:
- In total, $2.51 billion was invested, excluding mergers & acquisitions.
- $449 million, or 17.8% was invested in biotechnology; CA had $103 million of the $449, or 23%.
- The average funding round in the U.S. was $7.7 million (USD).
- The median funding round was $1.4 million.
- California was the leading state with 66 funding rounds.
- New York was 2nd with 25 funding rounds.
- Massachusetts was third with 23 funding rounds.
- Texas was fourth with 20 funding rounds.
- Colorado was fifth 17 rounds.
- While Texas had $137.8 million in tech & biotech investment - $125 million of that, or 91%, was in Austin.