Is your company targeting startups in the United States? If so, understanding the startup landscape, where to focus and how to continuously find new companies to target can be crucial to your success in generating b2b sales leads.
First, let's review some common questions and answers about the startup landscape in the in the USA:
- How many new startups are formed in the U.S. each year?
- How many startups make it?
- What are main reasons startups fail?
- Which kind of startups are the most promising to go after?
- What industries are receiving the most funding?
- What locations are becoming the most popular?
- Each year in the United States, there are literally millions of new businesses started. Many are part-time and never really get off the ground.
- Over 90% of startups will fail.
- Lack of market demand, lack of funding, lack of an effective business strategy and not having the right team are top reasons why startup companies don't make it.
- One effective strategy is to go after just funded startups by leveraging a startup database. By just receiving funding, the company has went through some level of scrutiny and there are outside investors convinced enough to put some skin in the game. You also know there are some resources the company has to work with, which is all too often not the case with startups.
- This venture capital live funding map shows the industries receiving the most funding each week.
- This startup database live funding map shows which cities receive the most the tech related startup funding each week.
Other important considerations:
- Timing is very important. Harvard & Berkeley research shows the first salesperson representing their particular product or service to connect wins a a greater percentage of the deals. This means you need a to learn about and connect with just funded companies as soon as possible, ahead of your competitors. Waiting for a once a day funding recap emails that thousands of others get at the same time wont get you there.
- Create customized filters to target the specific locations and industries that you are likely to have the greatest success with.
In summary, targeting recently funded companies can be a very profitable strategy if you have the right resource to leverage.