When many people think of startups they think of people like a young Mark Zuckerberg starting Facebook, or back in the day, Bill Gates and Microsoft. But at least in today's world, these cases are much more the exception than the rule. Today's successful startup founders are older and increasingly more diverse.
Here are some interesting stats on startups, which also includes how much startups spend, what they spend their funding on and how many times it takes to ultimately find success.
- A 50-year-old entrepreneur is almost twice as likely to start an extremely successful company as a 30-year-old. (source)
- The percentage of female startup founders has doubled from 10% to 20%, from 2009 to 2019. (source)
- The average age of a Startup founder is 45. (source)
- Cities in California hold 8 of the top 10 spots for startups per capita. (source)
- 47% of Series A funded startups spend more than $400k/month. (source)
- Seed funded companies spend on average $118k/month. (source)
- Less than 10% of seed funded startups make it to Series A. (source)
- HubSpot CRM gets almost twice the revenue from startups compared to industry giant Salesforce. (source)
- Facebook and Amazon Web Services are the leading expenses for advertising and web services; Zoom dominates for web conferencing. (source)
- 20% of startup spend goes to marketing & advertising. (source)
- On average, entrepreneurs fail 3.8 times before finding success. (source)